Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Hot Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman (2008)

Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution-- and How it Can Renew America (full title). Friedman's The World is Flat was a major eye opener for me, that pulled together many of the bits and pieces I knew and filled in the gaps on how the world is connected. This book has done the same for me on energy and going green. Actually there were a lot of things I didn't know on how our energy grid and system work. He is calling for a major shift in thinking, especially in politics. I do hope people in Washington and the state capitols will listen.

I can't even begin to list all the things Friedman covered in this book. For me, it has given me hope that people are ready to go green. I was trying to be green back in the 70's and back then it was such a counter culture sort of thing, and people didn't get it, that over the years I gave up except for small things that everybody does like recycling. (I had been recycling for years, but when I got to Kalamazoo, there was no place to recycle, except for papers that you could take to the paper plant.) I think this book is making me think more of how I live my life - what appliances I should be replacing with more energy efficient ones, to really go through my house and replace all bulbs with energy efficient ones, etc. Plus I have been thinking about my footprint on this planet in this huge house for a while now.

No comments: