Friday, March 06, 2009

Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer (2007)

Stephanie Meyer continues her story of Bella torn between her two loves - vampire Edward and werewolf Jacob. My favorite part was when she attends a ceremony with Jacobs clan and hears the story of how their forefathers got the ability to change into wolves. I knew the vampires would end up working together with the werewolves against the evil from the outside - and I liked that. The description of the fight was bizarre, but interesting. What I couldn't handle was Bella and her obsession with Edward. I found "gaimangirl" on Amazon agreed:

"What in the world do all of these people see in Bella? ... She's whiny, hypocritical, self-obsessed, co-dependent, moody, childish, sulky, I could go on, you get my drift. She has no goals, ambitions, hobbies, dreams, or talents. She shows no interest in the world around her."

I have similar complaints - what does she think she is going to do for "eternity" if she doesn't have a job, an interest, a goal, a hobby? She seems smart - when she was grounded, why didn't she read books, why reread Wuthering Heights a 100 times, when there are so many good books out there? Anyway, I guess I want to see how Meyer resolves everything, but I think I'll wait a while to pick up the fourth book. This is not Harry Potter, where the characters are richly developed. Harry got whiny for one book, but that was just that age, and he got over it.

No comments: