Thursday, June 12, 2008

Glory in Death by JD Robb (1995)

Road trip book again. Though I have listened to quite of few of JD Robb's books already, Nora Roberts' futuristic crime novel writer alter ego, my plan is to go through them all in a chronological order, so I can follow the development of various characters, relationships and settings.

Though this follows the formula - 3 murders with Lieutenant Eve Dallas going after the murdered at the end, getting into a fight where she is injured and Roarke coming to her rescue. I will ahve to keep count of how many of the JD Robb books stick to this formula.

Dallas, always the powerful, interesting troubled main character. Having night-mares and not wanting to deal with her horrid childhood. Her relationship to Rolrke gets a bit rocky, where he want to haves some commitment from her. Eve is finally able to tell Roarke she loves him. At the very end he proposes to her. I didn't expect that to happen so soon in the series, but I think it takes a few books before they get married.

Roarke - In spite of him being a powerful gazillionare, I like him. I like seeing him get rid of some of his shady operations, now that he's dating a cop. He even avoids answering her, when she asks why he sold a certain enterprise, by saying "for personal reasons," without elaborating.

Somerset - I don't think I've listened to the book that explains Roarke's relationship to his butler Somerset. Eve dislikes him and the feeling seems mutual at this point.

Mavis - Eve's only real friend is present in all her colorfullness. She is still a struggling artist without any boyfriend mentioned. I loved the scene where she spends the evening with Eve in Roarke's mansion.

Roarke's mansions - We slowly uncover the various parts of the New York mansion - the solarium, the hot tub/pool room, the library with its leather bound volumes. Eve gets her own room in this book, as Roarke moves her belongings out of her apartment. Eve and Roarke whisk off to his Mexico mansion on the Pacific for a night.

Feeney - Eve's trusted technical wiz at work - always eating almonds.

Commander Whitney - always supportive of Eve, but the first victim is a friend of the family, so that gets in the way of the investigation.

Chief Tibble - new since the last book, as Eve put the other chief of police out of business the last time. This new guy is supportive of her, though I don't remember how their relationship evolves.

Peabody - One of my favorite characters makes her first appearance and impresses Eve with her stiff efficiency and competence.

Dr. Mira - psychologist reveals that she was raped for years by her stepfather, trying to help Eve resolve her own past.

Nadine Furst - TV reporter - as Eve saves her life in this book, now I understand why they have such a solid relationship.

Future setting - though Robb doesnt' dwell on it, she fleshes out the futuristic setting in each book. I think it must be hard to predict technology 50 years from now, (I think the setting is 2058) as it moves ahead so quickly. The all still work at computer consoles with Roarke having the most sophisticated equipment. Computers are voice activated - as in security, house lights and food preparation. Transportation sill seems to consist of personal cars that are still involved in traffic jams, though cars can be put on automatic pilot. I think there are hover cars or some sort of personal flight craft. I don't recall references to the subway. There was a short reference to the clearing of old buildings, but the rich rebuilding brownstones. Some sort of food crisis has occured, as most available food is synthetic and the one thing that Eve really appreciates from Roarke's richness his access to real food and coffee. Virtual reality goggles are used for entertainment. Personal light and music shows can be programmed.

And then the title - Glory in Death. Like Sue Grafton's series A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar, etc. JD Robb has managed to name all the books in the series as Something in Death. And the title always is relevant. In this case, the murdered was looking for glory - it was part of his psychiatric profile and helped Eve nail him.

Though I had hear this book before, I didn't remember it, so about 3/4 through I started looking beyond the most obvious suspects, as I knew the killer had to be someone we had met. I figured out the killer a few chapters before Eve. I used love doing that with Agatha Christie.

I never have time for such a long comment on a book, especially a trivial one, but since this was written on the road - yes, I can write while driving - I had time to write down all my thoughts.

No comments: