Friday, March 28, 2008

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold (2007)

I really liked Sebold's Lovely Bones, even though it too started with a murder, more gruesome that this one, because I thought it gave a wonderful insight into family relations and the possible relationship between those that have passed away and those that stay behind. Since I had just lost my mother, this made sense to me.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same for The Almost Moon. I felt ill at ease throughout the whole book. And though it described family relations again, and a real debilitating disease, and the whole issue of taking care of elderly parents that I can relate to, it was one of those books I just hoped would end soon - I even stopped listening to it for a while to take a break. I kept hoping it was going to bring me to some peace of mind, as it did in Lovely Bones, but this did not.

No comments: