Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Summer He Didn't Die by Jim Harrison (2005)

I have never read anything by Jim Harrison, one of Michigan's own, well know by my friends up north. I really enjoyed this, though it was composed of three very different pieces. "The Summer He Didn't Die" was my favorite, about a partial Indian who lives in northern Michigan and raises a couple of kids. Maybe it is not so important what this story is about, but it just gives a rich sense of this man, the people around him, and the environment. I also found it quite funny. "Republican Wives" was about sorority sisters from University of Michigan, who end up unhappy with their husbands, taking lovers, etc. Again, sometimes very good descriptions, other times it grated on me. "Tracking" is in three parts - childhood, young adulthood, and getting older - the life of a writer. Wonder how much is autobiographical? I will have to see what I can find out about him. Again Michigan figures heavily - as his home base, as the place to get away, fish, the cabin in the UP, etc. I will have to read more by Harrison.

No comments: