Sunday, July 23, 2006

Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln

This is the book upopn which The Da Vinci Code is based. In the beginning I was going to give up because it was so full of names and details that all sounded alike to me - more information than I could ever take in and comprehend, but I'm glad I listened to it to the end. I don't care if they are right or very off base, their process and conclusions were interesting, to say the least. The most fascinating thing for me was the research these guys had done - in archives all over Europe and the Middle East. In an audio book you have no cues like cover blurbs, so I had no idea who the authors were and how authoritative they might be. At the end I came to understand that they are professors of religion, but I have to do a more thorough search of book reviews, as I found some who questioned their research methods and authority. Obviously, they have explored a very controversial topic, which many are unable to look at objectively, no matter how hard they try.

No comments: