Thursday, August 24, 2017

Dark Matter By Blake Crouch (2016)

An interesting premise. At every decision point in our lives we split off into parallel universes, to that there are hundreds, even thousands of universes with us in them living out our lives differently. Do I believe in parallel universes? Not really, though I understand that there are some physics principles and astronomical phenomena that claim this is possible and plenty of science fiction stories play off on this.

We have Jason Dessen, a brilliant quantum physicist, who got married to Daniella, an artist, had a son Charley, and now teaches physics at a Chicago college. He gets kidnapped one night and wakes up in a lab where everyone is thrilled to see him, but he doesn't recognize anyone. He escapes, goes to his house, but it is completely different and then finds that he is not married to Daniella, who lives elsewhere as a successful artist. If he is a bright physicist, I'm not sure why it takes him so long to figure out he is in a parallel universe, but...

With the help of a technician at the lab, Jason goes hopping through universes - some incredible horrible, to find HIS Daniella and Charley.

I do like the idea that our lives are made up of thousands of decesions - some small, but some making a huge impact on our lives. What if I had chosen to go to a different university, or not walked into Stache & Little Brothers where I met Bobby that started my Logan, OH phase of life. Or lost my nerve and not gone to visit Paul, who opened the world of TORI to me. Or not see that article in Laiks that had me calling Valdis and led to moving to Kalamazoo, becoming a librarian and so much more. So yes, I could have led a lot of different lives.

But when we get lots of Jasons appearing in the same world, it just got very weird. Kept wondering if we are following the "real" Jason, but it all worked out - sorta. They did leave quite a mess for someone to sort out.

No comments: