Saturday, February 10, 2007

Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen (2006)

I saw this reviewed in a few places, so I listened to this mostly funny book set in the Everglades. It has a wide range of characters that somehow end up connected. My favorite was Sammy Tigertail, a half-seminole who is trying to get away from it all and figure out who he really is, except that these attractive, very talkative women keep offering to be his hostage. I found this very funny. More poignant is a boy, whose parents are divorced, and who would like to see them back together again, but doesn't want to be hurt again by their fighting and splitting. His mother, Honey Santana, is the "nature girl" who takes revenge on Boyd Shreve, a phone salesman, who is such a slimy and stupid guy, that I actually had a hard time listening to the sections about him. Honey cons Boyd into coming to Florida, and takes him and his girlfriend out on a kayak trip around the islands in the Everglades. All sorts of other people end out there and for a while it is like a Midsummer Night's Dream with people looking for each other, except a couple of them have guns with them. I guess it all was pretty entertaining.

No comments: